How Do I Get My Real Estate License?
The Kansas Real Estate Commission, which is the state licensing agency, requires that you complete several steps in order to earn a real estate license.
- The first step is to complete a 30 hour Principles of Real Estate class. This class must be taken from an accredited real estate school. Many have daytime and evening classes to accommodate your schedule. There are also home study classes available. After completing this class, you will receive a certificate of completion and candidate handbook. You must have your certificate of completion prior to registering for the real estate exam.
- The next step is to complete the licensing examination. The exam is administered by Pearson Vue Professional Centers at 7701 E. Kellogg, Ste. 750 in Wichita. They have various testing times available and you can register by phone or on line. The candidate handbook gives you instructions for pre-registering.
- There are two portions of the test; the general and the state. The questions are multiple choice with 80 questions on the general portion and 30 on the state. You must pass both by 70%. If you pass one and not the other, you may retake the portion that you did not pass by rescheduling your test. The full $75 fee will apply each time you take the exam.
- When you begin your Principles of Real Estate class, you will receive instructions and materials necessary to get fingerprinted and you must then submit your fingerprints to the Kansas Real Estate Commission who will do a background check with the KBI and FBI. This can be completed at any time and should be done as soon as possible so as to avoid any delays in getting your license.
- Your next step will be to complete the 30 hour Kansas Real Estate Practices class.
- At any time before or during this process you will need to decide what company that you want to associate with. Be sure to make appointments with brokers and go on these job interviews early.
Sample Questions for Your Broker Interview
- What kind of training do you provide?
The classes that you take to get your real estate license only partially prepare you to sell real estate. It is imperative that you associate with a company that has an outstanding training program. Be sure to ask them for a calendar of training times and topics.
- What office services does your company provide?
- What is your advertising policy?
- Are there monthly or transaction fees?
- Do you have an office Policy and Procedures Manual?
- Do you have office meetings and when are they?
- What are the commission split options?
Once you pass the licensing examination, you will need to complete your examination pass card, complete the application form found on the reverse side of your course completion certificate and submit everything with your fees to the Kansas Real Estate Commission (KREC). You broker and office staff can help you complete this. You will receive your license in approximately two weeks. Once your Broker receives your license, you may begin your new career in real estate.
For further information, click here.